Monday, May 17, 2010

Waltzingmouse Stamps May Waltz - Birthday Cards

Welcome to my little piece of the blog space. I'm happy you could come by. I'm participating today in the Waltzingmouse Stamps May Blog Waltz with this post today, which has the theme of birthdays. As May marks the first anniversary of Claire's Waltzingmouse Stamps Store, it's only fitting to celebrate! We sure did at the very beginning of the month when she released eight stamps sets!

Four new stamp sets came to my little crafting corner last week just in time for me to use them on this birthday card for the waltz. My collection now has many of Claire's lovely designs to chose from but for this card I chose what could be called a Christmas stamp as the set includes many Christmas sentiments, but I think also fits for many other occasions. I had been eyeing the Seasons of Love - Tags set for a while now and this latest order had one coming my way. The heart and star were just too much! I had to have them! So I inked up the star today.



I'm playing around with distress inks lately and I also got a watermark resist ink pad. I used this on the star and then went over it with the Broken China ink. While I was doing the distress ink it started to curl a bit and I really liked the effect so I kept it for the final result. A look in my patterned paper scraps developed this little piece, perfect to go with the broken china color, don't you think?

I couldn't make the entire card just one color though so I threw in some cocoa with the ribbon and "Happy Birthday" from Say it with Style (love this set!). Finally, I did get a little ambitious with the cutting out of the inside of my star, which translated to cutting out a circle in the patterned paper, and finally the card base, but I like the effect of the sentiment going through to the inside. :)



So with that, there is my card for the blog waltz. Be sure to check out the forum thread here for everyone else's links. As I had a busy weekend this card is hot off the presses today, meaning I got a little inspiration already from all the others and there are some awesome projects! Don't miss it!

Thanks for stopping by!


28 comments:

Unknown said...

It's gorgeous Laurie!! so glad you got the chance to play along!! that broken china ink is fabby! love the peep hole in the star!!

Janet said...

This card made me think of Christmas, and all the cards I need to work on. I think this set will be just perfect. Love your work.

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful card! That star looks fabulous!

A Consuming Passion said...

Such a pretty design!

Jen said...

BRILLIANT use of the star as a window!! Might have to use this idea on a future card.
THANKS for sharing

Nadine said...

Love your window card! Have to say this is the first one I've seen using the star. Just beautiful!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Wonderful card! The colors are rich and beautiful - the window in the star is very clever!

KindredEsprit said...

I love this! The pattern in the paper ties in so nicely with the star! The border is perfect and that gold ribbon is an excellent complement! And isn't it funny how the curled paper worked into your design so well? =)

Karolyn at Paper Therapy said...

Wow! Love what you've done with these images and the ink techniques!! Beautiful!

Pauline said...

Beautiful, love that stamp set too, I must place an order lol! Love the little window, it makes a nice effect, and the colour is fab. Pauline x

Ann said...

A fabulous card - and I really love that cutout centre. I'm a huge distress ink fan and its great to see it on your card Laurie - I'm impressed!

Genevieve said...

Very very pretty! Love what you did with the star :)

Angela Mclean said...

Oh, this is a DARLING card.. love the cut-out star!
Hugs
Angela xxx.

anya said...

Fantastic Laurie! I love how you cut the window in the star - this is a great look! So glad you could waltz along with us!

Helen Berry said...

This is a gorgeous card - really pretty design & love the subtle blue. I'm in love with the star - fantastic :)

jmarmon said...

I love the way all the elements came together for your card. The stamp was great and the distress ink was perfect fot the effect you were trying to achieve. The cut out circle made a 3D element too. Great job!

Lee said...

This is a great card. I love distress inks too!

LaurieJ said...

What a lovely card! The muted blues are gorgeous.

Julia Aston said...

Beautiful blue card Laurie! love the window to the sentiment! thanks for waltzing with us!

Heather said...

So lovely! What a wonderful use of that adorable star. I may need to 'borrow' your idea :)
Perfect shade of blue, too.

Karin said...

Great color! I love the window for the sentiment :)

Janelle Stollfus said...

Such a nice card. I love those window card style's but I always seem to smudge it up. Yours is amazing! Love the paper and that sentiment is just perfect.

Charmaine Stack said...

Wonderful marriage of stamp and paper.

Kevin Renz said...

Very pretty. I love that star.. don't have it yet though :(

B said...

I don't think I left a comment yet... I stopped somewhere on page 7 and I can't remember where! Love your peep hole/window card! Fab!

Jen Cuthbertson said...

This is so pretty, Laurie!! I love the colors you chose and the star is great!! I just got that set, too, and can't wait to use it!!

Mary I said...

I just got that set too mostly for this star image. I'm glad to see it inked up on your card-it's very pretty.

Ingrid Danvers said...

What a gorgeous card, Laurie. Stars are one of my favorite elements to use on a card. Great job!