Thursday, April 29, 2010

Been Busy

To make up for my lack of posts last week, I've sure been busy this week. Today I'm posting a project that I completed for a birthday gift. There's a lot of birthdays that I have to be ready for around this time of year and each time I hope to be more on top of things, but I still get behind.

I really wanted to try my hand at altering a word art item. It's easier said than done. First, you have to figure out how to get the pieces apart. Yay for a tip from searching the web that vinegar helps separate wood glue! Then, I painted. Then, I traced. Luckily I figured out that I needed to trace individually (almost did two of the same) so I could do each side of the word. Then, it was sanding! I didn't have sandpaper on hand so I resorted to a nail file. It did a good job, I think, and it did make getting into the tight spots alright. Finally it was time to put it all together...I even had DH help out to drill the holes for the metal pieces as I had filled them up with paint from a previous step.

So here's the before:


And here's the after:



Hopefully it's a hit! :)

2 comments:

Belinda said...

What a fabulous gift! Looks amazing altered and it'll look great in anyone's house!

MirjamC said...

hi:) thanks so much for your kind comment om my blog!
what a fantastic gift you made!!!love it!!!