Sunday, June 6, 2010

Waltzingmouse Stamps Sketch Challenge #1 & CPS 170

Long time no post, right? I kinda took a break from my craft desk for a better part of a week to focus on some computer programming, you know, that thing that I went to school to do. With the release of RunMonster to the App Store, things have gotten a little more exciting around here as we try to answer user feedback and start hyping the app to new customers. We had one big break last week that gave many hits to the website and we now have more than 3500 downloads! Cool, huh? Of course, all good apps need to keep updating so there's always more work to be done!

But today after successfully moving my craft desk to our spare bedroom I had a little time to play. First off was to make sure to get an entry in for the Waltzingmouse Stamps Sketch Challenge #1. Claire and her design team kicked off a new challenge blog Saturday with the first sketch. As a big fan of WMS and sketches, this is right up my alley!

Here's the sketch:


Here's my take:




I decided to use Faux Fun Circles and Fancy Phrases for my card today. I am also very much into using my distress inks and pulled out my new Worn Lipstick color for the first time. I love how the color just fills in the background of the stamps with this technique! This was my first time using the Fancy Phrases stamps too and I am liking that many of them fit in that fancy little circle space. :)

Challenges:
* WMSC 1 (sketch)


And once I got going, I couldn't just stop at one card. I needed a graduation card here soon too, so that inspired the theme of my next card.

I used CPS 170:





Here's my take:


Keeping this card simple was the name of the game here. For one, it's for DH's cousin so I didn't think he'd appreciate girly elements. I did make it fun by being sure to use the school colors (Oregon State) though since he's in the band. As a band geek myself, I know school pride runs pretty high. I did take liberty in flipping the sketch vertically. The main focal point is a graduation sticker from a set I've had in my stash forever. So nice to use my stash!

Challenges:
* CPS 170 (sketch)

So I know things got a little long here, but thanks for sticking with me. I hope to get in a few more projects along with my coding to keep up the blog with fresh posts. I do enjoy this little blog of mine. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

DETAILS:
(card 1)
Paper - Black Polka Dot (DCWV) & Stash (don't you love it when scraps can be used?)
Stamps - Waltzingmouse Stamps (Fancy Phrases and Faux Fun Circles), Ink (Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Worn Lipstick), Embossing Powder (A La Mode)
Embellishments - Ribbon (Michaels), Button (Stash), Dry Embossing (Cuttlebug Folder - Swirls)

(card 2)
Paper - Patterned (Basic Grey), Solids (DCWV)
Image - Graduation Sticker (Sandy Lion)
Embellishments - Border Punch (Fiskers)

13 comments:

B said...

Fabbie! Love the distressing with the vintage circle! :) And the grad card is just so fun! (See what I mean when I said it was an understatement? ;-)

Julia Aston said...

Both cards are super! Love the vintage circle (I used that too!) and pretty colors on the WMS sketch - thanks for playing along with us this week!

Mandy said...

Great gradute card. I love it.

jmarmon said...

I think it is great that you moved your craft table to the spare room. That will give you more space to be creative. I have been wondering if RunMonster is getting around the country and now it sounds like he is off and running. Your cards are great and keep up the good work.

anya said...

Great cards Laurie! The fancy vintage circle is very pretty in white! So glad to see you had a chance to play along with our first sketch challenge!

Ruth M said...

Both are great cards but I love the dramatic colour combo of the with love card!

A Consuming Passion said...

Beautiful cards both!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Just beautiful! Both cards are great but I'm especially drawn to the WMS sketch challenge one - the red is delicious!

Ayana Posadas said...

GORGEOUS cards!
I love them both! :)

Unknown said...

Cracking cards Laurie, and I love the white embossing!! Fab news on your APP! Thank you so much for playing along with us at WMS!

Lea L. said...

Both cards are lovely! Thanks for using CPS 170 this week!

♥♥♥Lea

Jen Cuthbertson said...

Congrats on the app, Laurie! My hubby keeps saying he wants to write one and I can tell him about your success! I love the "Worn Lipstick" ink - what a perfect name for that great color! Love it!

Jennifer Holmes said...

Beautiful card and classic color combo! Love the sweet little bow, too. Thanks for playing along with WMS!